Zia Chiara’s Tiramisù
Zia Chiara’s Tiramisù
Tiramisù means- “pick me up” since it is traditionally made with espresso it most certainly does give you a little ‘pick me up’ if you need it! Not to worry that a normal consumption of this recipe won’t have you wired as the coffee amount remains minimal. There is also a chocolate version of this recipe if you want to avoid the coffee. This is my sweet cousin Chiara’s recipe and it is the absolute best! The simple creaminess and subtle flavors make for a perfect breakfast, snack, or fancy dessert!
4 eggs (separate yolks and whites)
4 tablespoons of white sugar
2 little cups of room temp coffee or hot chocolate
250g (1/2 lb) of mascarpone
unsweetened cocoa powder for dusting
30 SAVOIARDI LADYFINGERS
- Make the coffee (or hot chocolate) and set aside in a large flat dish
- Separate egg whites from yolks and remember that in order to whip the egg whites there should not be any trace of yolk.
- ￼Take a bowl and whip the egg whites until stiff- when the the egg whites will not move if you turn the bowl over you are done. When ready, set aside.
- ￼In another bowl whisk the egg yolks with 4 tablespoons of sugar using an electric mixer until pale and smooth- 3 to 5 minutes.
- ￼When ready add mascarpone cheese to the yolk mixture in 2 or 3 additions, stirring well to combine.
- ￼Then whisk the cream SLOWLY with the electric mixer. Then, add stiffen egg whites a little at a time. Folding the egg whites gently until well combined. DO NOT over mix egg whites when combining with yolks or the will not be as fluffy.
- ￼Meanwhile dip quickly Savoiardi Ladyfingers into the coffee or hot chocolate for 1 sec . IMPORTANT! Cookies should not engage too much coffee or hot chocolate, otherwise your Tiramisu will turn out too soggy. Then place them in a ceramic or glass baking pan.
- ￼Spread half of the mascarpone cream on top of the ladyfingers and dust with cocoa powder. Then top with another layer of biscuits.
- ￼Finally spread the remaining mascarpone cream on top of the last layer of the ladyfingers and dust with cocoa powder. Let rest 2 to 3 hours minimum in the refrigerator before serving. It’s important to let the cream set. You can also make this 12-24 hours in advance. I prefer it at least 12 hours after it’s made :)
Made with Amore,